Don’t Mess with St. Jude

by Richard Poe
Thursday, October 11, 2012

8:06 am Eastern Time
Archives
565 Comments

ST. JUDE is the patron saint of lost or desperate causes. You pray to St. Jude when you have nowhere else to turn. You pray to him when you are trying to do the impossible. You pray to him when all the odds are against you. That’s where I am now. That’s why I’m praying to St. Jude.

In the past, I never would have written an article like this. My pride would have prevented me. In the past, I would have prayed first, then decided what to write later. I would have waited for the results of my prayers. If the results pleased me, then yes, I might have written something about them. But if the results displeased me, I would have kept silent.

In effect, I was bargaining with St. Jude. I was trying to make him a deal. “Answer my prayers, and I will give you free publicity,” I was telling the saint. “But, if you don’t answer my prayers, you’ll get nothing from me.”

It’s natural for people to bargain. But bargaining doesn’t work with St. Jude. He’s not a businessman, and he doesn’t need your business.

What St. Jude requires is loyalty, devotion and obedience, with heavy emphasis on the word obedience. St. Jude places a special requirement on his devotees. When you pray to him, you are supposed to publish the results. You are supposed to tell people what happened. You are supposed to tell them what the saint did for you. There are all sorts of ways to spread the word about St. Jude. You can do it the old-fashioned way, by word of mouth, or you can post messages on the Internet. But, one way or the other, you must spread the word. In so doing, you inspire others to pray to St. Jude. At least that’s the theory.

If I have learned one lesson, after nine years of praying to St. Jude, it is this: You cannot bargain with this saint. You cannot sit in judgment over him. It is not our place to judge whether St. Jude has answered our prayers to our satisfaction. When we pray to St. Jude, we must publish the results, whether we like them or not.

READ ABOUT MY NINE-YEAR JOURNEY WITH ST. JUDE

With this article, I am going one step further. I am announcing my novena to St. Jude in advance, before I have even finished it. This is the fifth day of my novena. There are four days to go. I have no idea how St. Jude will answer my prayers. I have no way of knowing if he will answer them at all. I do not know if my life will be better or worse when this novena is done. I do not know if my path will be clear or whether it will remain hidden from me. But whatever happens, I will announce the results on this blog.

I am praying for a nine-day miracle. I am praying for a turnaround in my fortunes. I am praying that my little publishing company Heraklid Inc. will succeed, and that I will earn enough money from my books to get back on my feet. And I am praying that St. Jude will make crystal clear, by the ninth day of this novena, whether or not he has chosen to grant my petition.

Whatever happens on the ninth day, I will announce it on this blog, even if it seems like bad news. I will trust that St. Jude has his own good reasons for doing what he does, even when I don’t understand his reasons. And I hope and pray that, whatever happens to me and my wife, and to our struggling little company, be it good or ill, that our story may serve to instruct and help others.

Related Articles

March 17, 2014
Faith is Persistence: Results of my Latest Novena

March 5, 2014
My St. Jude Saga Continues

October 16, 2012
An After-Action Report on my St. Jude Novena

October 11, 2012
Don’t Mess with St. Jude

July 5, 2012
My Nine-Year Journey with St. Jude

Comments

565 Responses to “Don’t Mess with St. Jude”
  1. Mel1 says:

I believe in St Jude and YES he answers prayers. Thank you St Jude.
    When I was 18yrs I needed a job and did the novena, I was granted a job and I know without a doubt that the prayer had worked.
    Twenty Five years later I believe I need this prayer, St Jude please answer my prayer once more.

2. LB says:

I have been praying to St. Jude since mid-October for assistance in a custody case. St. Jude answered my prayer on 11/13/2020 as I did not lose full custody; however in 6 month we stand in front on the judge again, so I will continue to pray the novena prayer daily, and a rosary for St. Jude. I have faith in him, St. Joseph, and the Virgin Mary that they will intercede in this. That this was just a test to strengthen my faith.

3. Alice Jackson says:

I’m on the second day of my first Novena and I want to thank St Jude for hearing my prayer.
    I know St Jude will answer my prayers. Thank you St. Jude. I will share my thanks with others.

4. Amber says:

St Jude answered my prayer for help with my health over 10 years ago and I’m now petitioning him again for swift aid. I am posting this announcement in keeping with my commitment to publicly recognize St Judes intercession on my behalf.

5. Heather says:

Day 8 of my novena – thank you St. Jude, you have answered my prayers so many times in the past that I know you will help me now. Bring comfort to me, you know what it is I need. Thank you

6. Earl Einstein says:

4 years ago St. Jude granted my prayers for passing the board exam and getting my ex back. Right now, I am praying for a sign. My ex left me for someone else after almost 9 years of our relationship. Supposed to be our 9th anniversary should be this coming Dec. 9. However, she left me for someone else.

I am praying that if she is not the right person for me, please heal my broken heart and if she will come back, give me a guidance if I should still take her or not. We broke up in really bad terms. She became a deceitful person. Looking for guidance again from St. Jude, Mama Mary, and Lord Jesus Christ. I started praying today. Whatever happens, I will accept it.

7. Lisa says:

I had little understanding of st jude 7 day candle until now.
    I did not give the 7 to 9 days I lit when I could.
    It is down to the very end and I must say he spoke thru out it all. Alot of popping noise to the very end.

Yes prayer has been answered early on even if short lived.
    I have more respect for the prayer today.

8. david says:

I have prayed for my sisters health as she need s a miracle . I will put this here because ur supposed to after u are finished. B ut i will be back hopefully to let all know that this prayer. miracle has happened as i promised i would. i will let everyone know . hope to be back very soon

9. Biddy says:

I have said novenas to different angles for the virus St Jude was one of them so I don’t know who answered,

My prayers so I’m doing a novena only to St Jude will let you know.

10. Caroline D’Souza says:

St. Jude has been my patron saint and has always granted me my intentions all over these years! And I know he will grant me my intentions this time too. Thank you st.Jude.

11. Carol says:

This my first time praying the Novena to St Jude, day 1. I do not know what the results will be but what ever Iaskfor whether it is positive or not, will be according to God’s will. I will not lose hope and continue to belive in miracles.

12. Thandi D says:

Thank you St. Jude for your prayers to God on my behalf. My prayers have been and will be answered again

13. RAN says:

Thanks St Jude!

14. RAN says:

I know St Jude answers prayers. Am doing my prayers to him as I believe one day he will fulfill my prayers. Thanks you St Jude!

15. Michele Patterson says:

First day of prayers to Saint Jude, I will continue to pray daily not knowing outcome. I hope that he can assist me
    In my time of need. Thank you